Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe #2 - Pirattal - A chettinadu flavor

I am an ardent fan of chettinad food, it's spicy, it's extremely different from our mundane sambars and finally it employs all the veggies just like many popular cuisines.

I didn't know that cuisine has so much to offer even for a vegetarian like me.

I follow Mallika Badrinath for chettinadu dishes. Her north indian recipe books lack the aunthetic taste. but for south indian vegearian dishes I love hers the best

Here goes the recipe for Pirattal

Boil 3 carrots, 2 potaotes and 1 small cauliflower, 1/4 cup peas.
For me california style of mexican style veggies packet helps best. Instant and equally nutritious and less pricy. I am for frozen veggies anyday.

Heat oil and add mustard, aniseed, curry leaves, 2 tbsp onion.
Once onions are brown, add 2 tbsp tomatoes and fry till all this is pulpy.

Grind grated fresh coconut 2 tbsp, 7 red chillies, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp aniseed, 1 tbsp gram and 1 tsp poppy seeds. Add to onion and tomatoes.

Fry till you get a good aroma and then add steamed veggies and salt. When all of it is a thick paste, switch off. Add to rice and ghee and eat.

Dellllliiiiiicious !!!!!!!!!!!! My new year weight loss resolutions up in the air ! B went fida too !

ps- it came out dry , so you can consider adding little water while frying

No comments: